There are two main types of electric toothbrushes: Rotary and Sonic Electric Toothbrushes, but what’s the difference and which is better?
First of all, they use different brushing techniques. The rotary brushes make oscillating-rotary movements (back & forth and rotating), whereas the sonic brushes make sonic movements (sideways).
Rotary Electric Toothbrush
The rotary toothbrushes have been on the market the longest and have a small, round brush, which makes it easy to remove plaque in areas of the mouth that are harder to reach.
Newer models also have a pulsating brush, by which it moves towards and away the teeth at high speeds. This way the brush gets between the teeth even better, ensuring the best dental hygiene.
Rotary electric toothbrushes are proven to be better at removing plaque compared to brushing manually.
Sonic Electric Toothbrush
Sonic electric toothbrushes have a regular shaped brush, much like the manual toothbrushes. The brushing technique is based on that of a manual brush, but Sonic electric toothbrushes also make sideways and pulsating movements and they do so at a frequency we humans cannot.
Like the rotary electric brushes, the sonic brushes have also been proven to perform significantly better than manual brushes.
Which is better?
The short answer is neither. They are both much better than manual brushes, and it is up to the user’s preference to choose either. Read our article on choosing the best electric toothbrush.
Advantages of electric over manual brushing
- The electric brush makes the right brushing movements for you, so you can concentrate on the right brush placements
- The brush is small, which makes it easier to get to hard to reach areas of the mouth
- If you brush properly, you will remove more plaque between the teeth and at the edge of the gums
- Brushing electrically is less tiring, which enables you to take more time to brush
- Many new electric toothbrushes have very useful new technology to help you to brush even better
Clinical studies have clearly demonstrated that electric brushing is much more effective in removing plaque and keeping your gums healthy. This means better oral health and less bad breath! So electric brushing is the future!
Helping you to improve your oral health.